- Does ‘mob’ suggest brutality? What does the use of the word mean to you?
- Plath’s (or her persona’s) fear of the bees is moderated by her compassion for their hunger. Her notion of being sweet G-d supports this generosity of spirit. Find evidence to support these points.
- Plath’s moon suit and funeral veil protect her from experiencing the attention – also she could turn into simply ‘a tree’ unlike the attractive competition of the Laburnum and Cherry. What do you think the poet is intending metaphorically?
- Note the contrasts in the poem e.g. Colonnades is building imagery and therefore secure – compare with blackness and the unknown.
- If the clause ‘the box is only temporary’ refers to the body’s physical life – what about what is inside it? What might the bees and their darkness represent?