THE GREAT GATSBY
GUIDED READING, TASKS AND QUESTIONS
1) Consider the relevance of the setting at this point in the story:
a) the house 93-94
b) ashheaps 99
2) Differentiate between the different aspects of the artificial world 94-96
3) Focus on the different forms of narration and identify the purpose and effect of each:
a) Nick’s bemusement about ‘it was just personal’ 97
b) Nick’s ‘rotten crowd’ etc comment and his disapproval 98
c) Omniscient author’s narration 99-102
d) Indirect presentation of Gatsby’s death 103
e) No narration of Wilson’s death 103
4) Identify the significance of Eckleburg 102, ashen figure 103
5) Address the importance of the quest by looking at the following (you can combine a-d into one answer):
a) ‘Following a grail’ 95
b) loss of Daisy 97
c) incorruptible dream 98,
d) single dream 103
Chapter 2 Notes
Chapter 3 Notes
Chapter 4 Notes
Chapter 5 Notes
Chapter 6 Notes
Chapter 7 Sample essay
You are free:
- to Share — to copy, distribute and transmit the work
- to Remix — to adapt the work
Under the following conditions:
- Attribution — You must attribute the work in the manner specified, as above, by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
- Noncommercial — You may not use this work for commercial purposes.
With the understanding that:
- Waiver — Any of the above conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder.
- Public Domain — Where the work or any of its elements is in the public domain under applicable law, that status is in no way affected by the license.
- Other Rights — In no way are any of the following rights affected by the license:
- Notice — For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this work. The best way to do this is with a link to this web page.