ACTIVITIES DESIGNED TO ENHANCE YOUR UNDERSTANDING OF SOME OF THE PLAY’S THEMES
A. Briefly List:
- Thosepeople who are associated with particular places.
- Any events which are associated with places.
- The meanings of any place names and/or their translation.
- The significance ofpeople’s names.
B. Find examples or short quotes for:
- A secret, private core, privacies, being accepted etc regarding speaking another language.
- Attitude to the Irish language.
- Origins of the Irish language.
- The value of classical languages.
- Different attitudes to English.
- The power and other qualities of particular languages.
- The need for language change.
- The effect of language change.
- The link between language and identity.
Read History, Language and the Post-colonial question in Brian Friel’s Translations