Modifiers are usually adjectives and adverbs but they can also be phrases and clauses. They refine meaning e.g. ; I see clearly,
Consider these two:
- The fayre was an entire wash-out. (Adjective pre-modifies noun)
- The leaf fell slowly. (Adverb post-modifies the verb)
- The leaf slowly fell. (Adverb pre-modifies the verb)
- the red house is at the end of the street. (adjective pre-modifies noun)
- the house, which is red, is at the end of the street. (adjective post-modifies noun)
A pre-modifier tends to draw greater attention/emphasis than a post-modifier (see 2 & 3) but do note that position can also change overall meaning (see 4 & 5).
You are free:
- to Share — to copy, distribute and transmit the work
- to Remix — to adapt the work
Under the following conditions:
- Attribution — You must attribute the work in the manner specified, as above, by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
- Noncommercial — You may not use this work for commercial purposes.
With the understanding that:
- Waiver — Any of the above conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder.
- Public Domain — Where the work or any of its elements is in the public domain under applicable law, that status is in no way affected by the license.
- Other Rights — In no way are any of the following rights affected by the license:
- Notice — For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this work. The best way to do this is with a link to this web page.